Friday, September 28, 2007

Dogs in Romance

Natale's post struck a chord with me!

At the moment, I am reading Georgette Heyer's The Reluctant Widow. I've no business reading for pleasure at the moment because I'm behind on a deadline, but I wanted to see how a classic author dealt with a basically implausible premise.

I've done that. I should put it down, but I'm hooked.

There's a dog. It's name is Bouncer, and in my current mood, I think it is the most masterfully written character in the book. Bouncer certainly steals his scenes. He is carrying the book, at the moment. I want to know what this bad dog will do next, because he is partially trained, and therefore cannot be trusted to bite the villain, or to not bite the heroine.

He's frightening, but endearing. He'll cheerfully take a bribe... but will not necessarily modify his behavior out of gratitude.

Bouncer rocks!

No comments: