Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The countdown begins ... well, it continues

I got my author copies of ECHOES OF PASSION yesterday, and I was pleased. For one reason or another, I didn't see the book after I turned in the manuscript, and so I was in the dark as to whether it had weathered the editing stages. As a rule, after I finish writing a book I don't revisit it (I mean, if it's done, it's done, and I don't see any reason to go back unless it's to look something up), but it had been so long since I had seen it I felt I had to do something. So I did: I sat down and read my book. 

As I did, a few memories of the writing process came trickling back, little by little. I remember writing descriptions, piecing together the descriptions of a war that was waged twenty cycles (approximately two and a quarter years) ago, the battles and the outcome. I remember writing the descriptions of a settlement that had seen more than its share of sorrow and mystery, the descriptions of a lover who never was. Sometimes the descriptions came on like a waterfall, while other times ... well, they didn't. (I'm sure you know that feeling.)

Most of all, as I was reading, I remember shaping the people. The green skin of the Neoti and the golden skin of the Vozuan, so close in so many things cultural and physiological but so far in others. And I remembered why I write; shaping those people, the places, the stories can be an amazing experience.

Only 15 more days until launch! I can't wait!

Eilis Flynn
ECHOES OF PASSION, 7.2.09

4 comments:

Highland Hussy said...

that's great! How long did the editing process take? Did it take 2 years?!

EilisFlynn said...

No, but it nearly took it to write. This piece was at the bottom of a pile of stuff to be written!

Highland Hussy said...

this is a crazy business! but I am so excited for you!

Highland Hussy said...

well, it sounds exciting. I can't wait!