Sunday, June 3, 2007

Animals in love stories

On one social loop, the conversation has turned to strange sights seen in Spring time, such as astonishingly well hung male tortoises trying to mount small, mewing felines (they were mewing before the pursuit began), but that is not what I mean.

Got you going, though!

And if Josh, author of PET HATES, wants to explain how animals can make such a horrible mistake, I'd love to know more.

Deborah Anne mentioned the monkey in Pirates of the Caribbean. In the first Pirates, there was another pet: the psychic, and strategically incontinent parrot.

I don't think this is the first time a pet bird has been used for comic relief in a romance. (Pun intended)

A couple of years ago, at the Amelia Island concours d'elegance, there was someone with a really well trained parrot. When nature called, it climbed down its owner to the ground, did its business, and then climbed up him again. Which goes to show that a bird doesn't have to be messy.

Fieldfares (I believe) used divebombing as a coordinated method of deterring raptors such as crows. Apparently, there is something in bird poop that is not good for wing-feather condition and functioning, so after the crow has taken a few hits, it leaves before serious damage can be inflicted. I wonder if my local geese are under the impression that my black car is a threat to them! They'd probably like my house to move away, too.

I'd like to conclude with a mention of a bird with a starring role in a love story. Lady Hawk.

Best wishes,
Rowena

No comments: